Thursday, April 19, 2012

Calling for submissions

Art by Olisa Onwualu
I don't know if its the season or something, but suddenly I'm seeing all these calls for speculative fiction about women and Africans and I'm excited.

Crossed Genres is a cool a small press publisher of speculative fiction. They also publish Crossed Genres Magazine. They're accepting submissions for two publications: an anthology of short science fiction stories about skilled labour called Menial. For complete guidelines and to submit, click here. Deadline is end of May.

Their second call is for Winter Well: Speculative Novellas of Older Women. They are looking for sci-fi and fantasy novellas featuring women of advancing age (late middle age and older) who are smart, tough, and have wills of their own. The deadline for submissions is September 30, 2012. Click here for more information.

Both CG calls strongly encourage under-represented characters such as characters of color, LGBTQ characters, and female characters.

Also, TU Books, publishers of speculative fiction for children and young adults featuring people of color and set in worlds inspired by non-Western folklore or culture. In particular, they want: Asian steampunk, any African culture, Latino/a stories, Native American/Aboriginal fantasy or science fiction, original postapocalyptic worlds, or historical fantasies or mysteries set in a non-Western setting. For more information check out their submissions page.

Then there's the Kwani? Manuscript Project which is a one-off literary prize for African writing from the Kwani Trust. They are calling for submissions of unpublished fiction manuscripts from African writers across the continent and in the Diaspora. The deadline is open until the 20th of August, 2012. More information about guidelines and prizes can be found here.

Finally, there's the Golden Baobab Prize for children's literature. Their tagline is: "an African literary award whose goal is to inspire the creation of African stories that children and young adults the world over will love!" And they're open to all genres, including speculative fiction. In fact, two years ago, their winning entry was a sci-fi story set in a future Zimbabwe called Mr Goop by Ivor Hartmann. Their deadline is June 24, 2012.

I'm sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg, but it really gave me hope that there are places to publish the weird mish-mash of Afro-spec fic that I love. Now all I've got to do is start writing.

5 comments:

  1. I write fiction and have being experimenting with strong African female icons for my themes. I am not sure if it has audience but I am certainly interested in the gender role reversals and impact on people's consciousness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome to hear. You should definitely consider submitting your work to any of these outlets. I think some may be restricted to citizens and residents of African countries, though.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff!
    Enjoyed this post alot!
    Imagine African SciFi!
    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Housing Finance Pvt Ltd Thank

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete