Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Books that have influenced me


I was inspired by a Facebook meme which asks users to list 20 authors and poets who have had the most influence on them. The catch was that it had to be the first 20 writers they could recall in no more than fifteen minutes.

Here's my list. Those authors without titles are people whose work I admire as a whole:

1.  Stephen King
2.  Chinua Achebe – Things Fall Apart
3.  Robert Jordan
4.  George R.R. Martin
5.  Anne LaMott – Bird By Bird
6.  William Shakespeare
7.  Oscar Wilde
8.  Charles Dickens
9.  Mark Twain – A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court
10. Edgar Allen Poe
11. Ben Okri – The Famished Road
12. Anne Rice – Interview with a Vampire, Vampire Lestat, Queen of the Damned
13. Margret Atwood – The Handmaid’s Tale
14. Mariama Ba – So long a letter
15. Ray Bradbury
16. Arthur C. Clarke – Childhood’s End
17. Marion Zimmer Bradley – The Mists of Avalon
18. Ursula K. LeGuin – Left Hand of Darkness
19. Victor Hugo – Hunchback of Notre Dame
20. Stephen R. Donaldson – The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, The Mirror of Her Dreams, A man rides through

4 comments:

  1. I should try and read Ben Okri.

    I saw the FB meme's but I've read so many authors, lol..Nice list here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Myne, Thanks! Do you have any books that have influenced you that you'd like to recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A juicy collection of great works. This shows you must be something yourself, angel. It may be a challenge for me to list mine. I actually started going to the library at age ten and have not stopped since then. It may be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, beautiful writer, for not introducing myself properly, I am Jeff Unaegbu. And I would love to read romantic books written by Nigerians. I write romance though. And I sense you will be able to recommend romance novels by Nigerians to me.

    ReplyDelete